Since our inception, WTW has been an advocate for preserving and enhancing existing architecture. When repurposing a building or group of buildings, we go to great lengths to retain the integrity and history of each structure. We then work to incorporate the industry’s most innovative technology and design materials to create an environment that is ultra-modern in functionality, yet stays true to its familial roots. Our love for notable existing architecture is a driving force behind our work, and some of our proudest moments have been at the re-dedication of truly historic, meaningful architecture, that we have renewed or repurposed.
Thirty years after repurposing a circa 1880 sawmill on Pittsburgh’s North Shore for its offices, WTW has again transformed its workspace to express its culture and design philosophy in a highly collaborative environment that inspires creativity.
Among the region’s largest construction firms, Rycon Construction has been experiencing double-digit growth in recent years, landing among the Pittsburgh 100. Rycon therefore turned to WTW when planning to move from their previous WTW-designed headquarters to 2501 Smallman Street.
This historic landmark, located at the heart of the campus, required programmatic and life safety improvements to meet the needs of the students, faculty, and community. The goal of the restoration work was to provide the University with a facility for state-of-the-art educational experiences that doubles as a highly utilized public performance hall.
24,300 SF Restoration